Does that headline surprise you?
It did me!
It’s absolutely true (we only run true stories here at WeLoveTrump) but perhaps not for the reason you think.
Check it out:
WHO chief calls on the US and Europe to halt COVID-19 vaccine boosters for rest of the year https://t.co/RT1FwxOztL
— Daily Mail US (@DailyMail) September 8, 2021
— Brie Jackson (@PositivelyBrie) September 8, 2021
Why the halt?
Social justice of course!
Too many “rich nations” are getting them according to the WHO.
I’ll tell you what, if that’s what it takes to stop this crap I’m all for it!
The World Health Organization on Wednesday doubled down on calls for wealthy countries with large supplies of coronavirus vaccines to forgo booster shots through the end of the year.
The big picture: The WHO director’s comments come as the Biden administration weighs offering COVID booster shots later this month, and as a global vaccine disparity persists.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus previously called for a moratorium on booster shots through the end of September, the Associated Press reports.
At the current pace of vaccinations, low-income countries would need to increase their daily vaccination rate by nearly 19 times to reach 40% coverage by the end of 2021, according to a Kaiser Family Foundation analysis.
What they’re saying: “I will not stay silent when companies and countries that control the global supply of vaccines think the world’s poor should be satisfied with leftovers,” Tedros said during a Wednesday news conference.
Tedros also said he was “appalled” after the International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Association indicated that wealthy nations now have enough doses to allow for both booster shots and vaccinations in countries with shortages.
“In reality, manufacturers and high-income countries have long had the capacity to not only vaccinate their own priority groups, but to simultaneously support the vaccination of those same groups in all countries,” he said.
The WHO’s director is calling on wealthy countries with large supplies of coronavirus vaccines to halt boosters through the end of 2021.
“I will not stay silent when companies and countries … think the world’s poor should be satisfied with leftovers.” https://t.co/I2kr3cv0tZ
— Axios (@axios) September 8, 2021
The head of the World Health Organization is calling on rich countries with large supplies of coronavirus vaccines to refrain from offering booster shots through the end of the year, expanding a call that has largely fallen on deaf ears. https://t.co/Pbuu9HCPcd
— The Associated Press (@AP) September 8, 2021
And from NewsBreak:
Rich countries with large supplies of coronavirus vaccines should refrain from offering booster shots through the end of the year and make the doses available for poorer countries, the head of the World Health Organization said Wednesday, doubling down on an earlier appeal for a “moratorium” on boosters that has largely been ignored.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus also said he was “appalled” after hearing comments Tuesday from a top association of pharmaceutical manufacturers that vaccine supplies are high enough to allow for both booster shots for people in well-supplied countries and first jabs in poorer countries that face shortages. He said that’s already been the case.
“I will not stay silent when companies and countries that control the global supply of vaccines think the world’s poor should be satisfied with leftovers,” he told a news conference. “Because manufacturers have prioritized or been legally obliged to fulfill bilateral deals with rich countries willing to pay top dollar, low income countries have been deprived of the tools to protect their people.”
Tedros had previously called for a moratorium on boosters through the end of September. But wealthy countries — including Britain, Denmark, France, Greece, Germany, and Spain — have begun or are considering plans to offer third shots of two-dose vaccines to their vulnerable people such as the elderly or those with compromised immune systems.
Israel has been providing third doses to a wide swath of people who already received a full two-dose regimen months earlier. And last month, United States health officials recommended that all Americans get boosters to shore up their protection amid evidence that the vaccines’ effectiveness is falling. WHO officials insist the scientific justification for boosters remains unclear.
Tedros acknowledged that third doses might be necessary for at-risk groups, but said: “We do not want to see widespread use of boosters for healthy people who are fully vaccinated.”
Responding to the WHO calls on booster shots, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said the U.S. has donated and shared about 140 million doses with over 90 countries, “more than all other countries combined.”
She added: “From Senegal to South Africa to India, we’ve made significant investments in boosting global productions of COVID vaccines. At the same time, the President and this administration has a responsibility to do everything we can to protect people in the United States.”
U.S. health officials are continuing to assess the science and utility of boosters, and there are growing indications that the U.S. may miss the Biden administration’s Sept. 20 target date for a wide rollout of extra shots for vaccinated people.
The WHO chief said he received a message of “clear support” from health ministers at a meeting of the influential Group of 20 countries this week for a commitment to help hit a WHO target that all countries vaccinate at least 40% of their people by year’s end.
Meanwhile, I’ll just sit back and enjoy the left eating its own as Psaki does not agree.
She wants you poisoned with as many shots as she can get into you!
Psaki says the WHO’s call to halt Covid booster shots is a “false choice,” saying the U.S. will continue to donate vaccines to countries while providing a third dose to Americans https://t.co/LQiW1PKObS pic.twitter.com/ghj4HjJaHH
— Bloomberg Quicktake (@Quicktake) September 8, 2021